Friday, August 7, 2009

240/365




A dilemma...

Stay where I am safe but extremely unchallenged? Or take a chance on something new and uncertain?

My horiscope for today reads:

You are at a crossroads of sorts now, but instead of making a choice between two different alternatives, you need to choose how to expand your options. That's pretty exciting -- but time is short!

I am not entirely sure what that means, but it is very relevant to what I'm going through today. An opportunity has come up for a new job. Right now I am working at Measured Progress. I started working here last September, and it lasted through the beginning of March (it's a temporary position). Then I was called back at the end of May, and I am fairly sure I will be here through the winter again. So far, I have done approximately one full weeks' worth of work in the two and a half months that I've been back. It's that slow here right now.

Most days I sit and stare into space, or read crafting blogs and try to look like I'm doing actual work. Yes, I'm getting paid to sit here and do nothing, but it is depressing and the days drag on forever. I feel like I'm just wasting my time here, when I could be doing so many other things. I know the work will pick up in about another month, then get super crazy since everything's on deadline in November and December.

But...

A coworker sent my name to her temp. agency in response to a catalog design position that opened up at Brookstone in Manchester, NH. I actually had worked with this particular man and his agency before, so he remembered my name. He sent me the details for the position. It will run from September to November/December, and it pays $25/hr. $25/hr! That is a nice number to see on your paycheck. That's $5 more per hour than I make now. Over the course of a month, that adds up to an additional $600 take-home.

But...

It is only 2-3 months long. I'd be unemployed by the end of the year, rather than sometime in February/March. And who knows what else I'll be able to find for work once it's done? Ahhhh...I don't know what to do. I really want to take the new position, but my brain/monthly bill calculator takes over and says "no f-ing way!" I guess I'll be doing some serious thought about it this weekend, and lots of talking with Rob to find out his opinion. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment